The Champaign Illinois Seventh-day Adventist Church serves the twin cities of Champaign-Urbana, the University of Illinois Campus, and the surrounding area. It is part of a worldwide organization of Seventh-day Adventists.
The first known group of Adventists came to the Urbana-Champaign area in the late 1800's. Most of them were nurses from Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan. They originally met in each other's houses for Bible study and church service. The first Adventist Church building was purchased in the 1920's. It was originally a house with an outside bathroom and an unfinished basement. The first congregation was composed of approximately 20 members. The current church building on Mattis Avenue was erected in the early 1960's. A few years later a school building was annexed on Bradley Avenue.
Today, our church is composed of a culturally-diverse congregation that spans several continents.